Week 2 Discussion. The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Complete your participation for this assignment by the end of the week.
Structure of Health Insurance
The present health care system relies on public and private health insurance systems. On the basis of your understanding of the health insurance system, answer the following questions:
- Explain the basic structure of health insurance and analyze its most important part. Describe the main purpose of health insurance in your own words.
- What impact do you think health insurance has on our economy today?
- Explain why managed care was incorporated in the US health care system long ago? Describe and contrast the three types of managed care plans—HMOs, PPOs, and POS?.
- Should the same individuals who pay for your health care (managed care organizations [MCOs]) also make your treatment decisions? Why or why not?
- Is the fee-for-service (FFS) system more beneficial for the consumer than the current MCO system? Why or why not? Explain.